- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope rapid rise yeast
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. milk
- 10 tbsp. butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 c. each lemon juice and limoncello (lemon liqueur)
- 1 qt. strawberries
- 1 pt. raspberries
- Coat an 8- to 10-cup ring or tube pan with nonstick spray, then flour.
- Combine 3/4 cup flour, the yeast, sugar and salt in large bowl. In a 2-qt saucepan, heat milk and butter until very warm (120° to 130ºF on an instant-read thermometer). Gradually add to flour mixture; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add eggs, 1 cup flour and the lemon zest; beat 2 minutes on high speed. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup flour until blended.
- Spread dough evenly into prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and a clean kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until syrupy. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and limoncello.
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Bake for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in cake comes out clean. Prick surface with a skewer; brush warm cake with half of the syrup.
- Run knife around edge to release; invert cake onto wire rack set over a pan. Spoon or brush remaining syrup over cake. Let cool completely. Mound berries in center.